This three-part workshop will look at hunting and steadiness around live game and shot. Caged birds will be used and launched while starter pistols are fired and guns shot. No game will be shot, but cold game will be used for retrieves. There will also be opportunities to hunt for birds in cover crops and woodland in a controlled environment.
Our Training Steadiness with Live Game workshops, led by Helen, are suitable for…
- All breeds of gundog, including retrievers, spaniels and HPRs as the set up will be close to simulating rough shooting specific to each breed.
- Dogs which have already been introduced to shot
- Those looking to work their dogs in the field
- HPR handlers looking to gain evidence for the pointing test in The Gundog Club grade 4 assessment
- Those looking to participate in the Gundog Club Grade 5 field assessment, which includes game
- Those looking to take their Kennel Club Working Gundog Certificate on Game
Our Training Steadiness with Live Game workshops will cover...
- Retrievers will focus on walk up with a Gun. They will practice steadiness to flush and shot. Retrieving in cover with cold game or other suitable articles, as well as practicing standing behind a Gun.
- HPR’s will practice hunting, scent identification and pointing followed by steadiness to flush and shot if appropriate. They will also practice beating skills in readiness for the shoot. Retrieving can be introduced if appropriate to the dogs and their handlers’ abilities.
- Hunting Retrievers (spaniels) will focus on hunting in cover, steadiness to flush on indication and shot if appropriate, They will also practice beating skills in readiness for the shoot. Retrieves of cold game or appropriate articles can be introduced if the dogs are ready.